As we celebrate Dental Health Week, we are reflecting on the incredible insights offered by the Dr. Weston A. Price’s lifelong research. Dr. Price’s groundbreaking studies highlighted the profound impact of traditional nutrition on our overall well being and our dental health.
Modern society has seemingly forgotten the wisdom of ancestral diets and their remarkable benefits for maintaining strong, healthy teeth and gums.
The Wisdom of Dr. Weston A. Price
Dr. Weston A. Price was a dentist and researcher who explored the dietary habits of numerous traditional societies across the world. His findings revealed a crucial connection between ancestral diets and robust oral health. Dr. Price discovered that these communities, untouched by the modern industrial diet, demonstrated remarkable dental health, free from cavities, crowding, and other common dental issues.
The wisdom of traditional nutrition emphasises the use of whole, unprocessed foods that are rich in essential nutrients. These diets typically include nutrient-dense foods like organ meats, bone broths, fermented foods, and natural fats. Traditional diets not only nourish the body but also provide a solid foundation for maintaining strong teeth and gums.
Key Benefits of Adopting an Ancient Nutritional Approach:
- Strong Teeth and Resilient Gums: Traditional diets rich in minerals, vitamins, and fat-soluble vitamins support the development of strong teeth and resilient gums, helping to prevent decay and wider dental issues.
- Balanced Oral Microbiome: Whole foods and fermented foods encourage a healthy balance of oral microbiota, contributing to a healthier oral environment and reducing the risk of harmful bacteria.
- Reduced Inflammation: Anti-inflammatory properties of nutrient-dense foods can help minimise oral inflammation, a contributing factor to gum disease and other dental problems.
- Proper Jaw Development: Traditional diets often require more chewing due to their texture, contributing to proper jaw development and reducing the likelihood of orthodontic issues.
Incorporating Traditional Nutrition into Modern Life
Here are some simple steps to integrate traditional nutrition principles into your daily routine:
- Prioritise Whole Foods: Opt for nutrient-dense whole foods like grass-fed meats, organ meats, bone broths, some organic locally sourced fruits , and healthy fats.
- Include Fermented Foods: Incorporate fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, and yoghurt to support a diverse and balanced oral microbiome.
- Minimise Processed Foods: Sugary and processed foods contribute to oral health issues, gut issues and poor overall health. Seriously consider omitting them from your diet.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking water helps maintain saliva production, which plays a vital role in oral health by washing away food particles and bacteria.
Dental Health Week is a reminder of the intricate connection between our overall health and the state of our teeth and gums. The timeless teachings of Dr. Weston A. Price highlights the continuous relevance of traditional nutrition in nurturing dental health. By embracing the wisdom of ancestral diets and incorporating nutrient-rich foods into our modern lives, we can honour our oral health and leave a legacy for generations to come.